If you offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted, then your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noonday.
Isaiah 58:10 NSRV
Happy are those who are concerned for the poor; the Lord will help them when they are in trouble.
Psalm 41:1 TEV
If you refuse to listen to the cry of the poor, your own cry will not be heard.
Proverbs 21:13 TEV
God always keeps His promises; he judges in favor of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.
Psalm 146:6-7 TEV
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has not works, is dead.
James 2:14-17 NRSV
Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Defend the rights of the poor and needy,
Proverbs 31:8-9 NSRV
Learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow.
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:9-11
“For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? And the King will tell them, ‘I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'”
Matthew 25:31-40 NLT
When you gather your crops and fail to bring in some of the grain that you have cut, do not go back for it; for it is to be left for the foreigners, orphans and widows…When you have gathered your grapes once, do not go back over the vines a second time; the grapes that are left are for the foreigners, orphans and widows. Never forget that you were slaves in Egypt; that is why I have given you this command.
Deuteronomy 24:19-22 TEV
…do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor…
Zechariah 7:10 RSV
“He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord
require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk
humbly with your God?’”
Jesus said to him “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
Matthew 19:21 RSV
“But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”
Luke 14:13 RSV
“Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.”
Luke 18:22 KJV
Begin using your hands for honest work, and then give generously to others in need.
Ephesians 4:28 NLT
“Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.”
1 Timothy 6:18-19
Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.
James 1:27 NLT
He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord and he will repay him for his deed.
Statement of Beliefs
- We believe the Bible to be the only infallible, inspired, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that the salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and that by His in-dwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of the dead and the eternal judgment of the just and the unjust.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
- Feed The Hungry believes Christians have a biblical responsibility to respond to the injustice of world hunger with acts of kindness and mercy that glorify God and affirm His love for a hurting world (James 2:14-25, Acts 10, Mark 16:15-18, Galatians 3:28, Revelation 7:9)